Available Open Courses
Clinical Governance, Quality & Safety
Effective Clinical Governance is the backbone for ensuring that NHS organisations are accountable for continuously improving the quality of their services and safeguarding high standards of care, by creating an environment in which clinical excellence will flourish. This has become even more important in an era of Duty of Candour following Mid Staffordshire and other clinical and cultural failings. Many more years of austerity, coupled to the impact of an overwhelmed, under-funded system, adds to the imperative of ensuring that all staff understand these important principles and know how to implement them across services. This practical & comprehensive course provides you with the essential knowledge and tools you need to drive forward service development with increased quality and patient safety at its heart and where the whole multidisciplinary team is committed to these principles.
In response to the sad case of Hadiza Bawa Garba, have introduced guidance and discussion on how to best approach a safe service, early warning and protection of doctors in an overwhelmed system (including senior doctors having issues escalated to them). There will be amply opportunity to discuss with colleagues how best to implement escalation systems when there isn't an easy answer, as well as how to ensure escalation is handled appropriately and taken seriously
This programme is accompanied by an additional digital programme. Post course, you will be granted access to the programme Building Safer Clinical Systems (9 CPD points and worth £90 + VAT), in video-narrated form.
Our Easyjet-style pricing means places start at £245 + VAT for the first 5 places, step to £275 + VAT for the next block and then revert to the standard price of £295 + VAT. It's not time-related, it's 'places available at' and so it pays to book swiftly to secure one of the lower price places.
This means that you get the best price available by booking early but it does require payment at the time of booking, as the place is attached to you and that denies someone else the chance. In the event study leave is declined, refunds are issued according to standard terms & conditions.
- Heightened importance of clinical governance approaching 2020
- What clinical governance is and is not
- Quality & safety versus governance
- Relationship with corporate, integrated & shared governance
- 7 pillars of clinical governance
- Clinical governance failings - typical causes
- Learning from Mid Staffordshire
- Interplay between systems and behaviour
- The organisational and system contribution to care failings
- An added staffing dimension - lessons from the Hadiza Bawa Garba case
- Approaching clinical governance with renewed commitment
- Getting buy in to clinical governance from the whole team
- Making clinical governance part of organisational culture
- Practically evolving the right culture
- Pareto principle in relation to clinical governance
- What constitutes an acceptable system & process?
- Developing a robust model that works & delivers improvement
- Developing a clinical effectiveness strategy
- Clinical audit models & use
- Developing appropriate audit & improvement cycles today
- Performing risk assessments
ADDITIONAL SESSION ON GOVERNANCE & RISK IN LIGHT OF BAWA GARBA
- Risk management - protection of patient, self, team and Trust
- Creating better escalation systems in light of the Hadiza Bawa Garba case
- Ensuring that trainees know how to raise risk & concerns
- Immediate responses to escalation to protect patients and team
- Ensuring the Trust supports your decisions and actions
- Getting the Trust to listen when it's inconvenient
- Involving public and patients - are they the same or different?
- Developing a public and patient involvement strategy
- How and what can we learn from the patient experience?
- Developing an open culture over incident reporting
- Learning from complaints and clinical incidents
- Management of serious incidents
- Conducting effective root cause analysis
- Use of an incident decision tree
- Effective communication to prevent complaints escalating
- Responsibilities under Duty of Candour
- Approaching improvement from both weakness and strength
- Ensuring the right outcomes are measured
- Implementing clinical governance outcomes
- RAID model for implementing change
- Safety concerns in the modern system or service
- Communicating outcomes & issues to senior management
- Ensuring that management listens when safety is at risk
- What to do when people aren’t listening
Course DatesNo dates currently available for this event
- First Five Delegates: £245.00
- Next Five Delegates: £275.00
- Standard Price: £275.00
This takes you to the Medmeetings course page for this course, from which you can see the latest availability & best available pricing, as well as book onto the course.
More Information & Compelling Reasons
Healthcare is tough today and the training you receive must adequately address that reality. No idealism or wishy-washy, overly academic regurgitation, just focused, bang up-to-date, hard-hitting, highly practical courses designed to address the things you need to be very good at today. Equally, your study leave time and budget are both scarce and precious. We won’t waste your time, we work hard to provide the very best training at professionally sustainable fees (lower than many) and we NEVER compromise on learning quality. Other practical reasons include:
- 100% Money-back Guarantee
- Just 12 Participants Per Course (Academyst Select)
- Extremely experienced faculty with seniority & genuine gravitas
- Many courses are augmented by significant additional e-learning for depth
- Academyst Select Courses
Academyst Select is a truly comprehensive approach to supporting you from both the learning perspective and in how you use or implement that learning. By operating with reduced participants and days i.e. only working with comparatively few individuals, we are able to provide an unmatched and truly enabling level of support.
Academyst Select courses have as standard:
- Open dialogue with the team and more targeted advice on your specific issues
- Access to ongoing implementation advice
- Full-sized PDFs of all slides used
- Implementation Guide to help you apply principles and learning
- Implementation Materials – actual documents, slides & models that you can use