Available Open Courses
Managing & Supporting Poorly Performing Clinical Staff
Powerful, Practical & Supportive
One of the most stressful roles any of us performs is that of managing performance issues or emerging difficulties with juniors, colleagues or other staff members. It's increasing in a cash-starved, over-burdened NHS and professionals are increasingly concerned that it is difficult to separate personal from institutional or system causes. However, adopting the right behavioural and technical approaches results in rapid improvement and restoration or attainment of necessary clinical standards, not to mention creating a life-long fan thanks to the support you have provided. It's a very valuable course best done before you absolutely need!
Going forward, we have made the decision to concentrate on our ever growing In House/Bespoke course delivery, rather than open courses. With ever greater financial pressures on Trusts, this allows us to deliver a lower per person cost, with no travel for delegates as an added bonus.
We are able to come into your trust and deliver highly cost-effective, first class training service to groups of typically between 8 – 20 delegates (larger numbers can be accommodated on request). For 8 or more delegates, the in-house rate saves both Trust and individuals money, not to mention the time-saving from not having to travel.
Most of our courses can be tailored to suit specific groups e.g. consultants, SAS doctors, allied healthcare professionals etc, or structured for mixed groups. We are also finding that 2 or 3 local trusts may join forces to put on a training course, allowing more attendees and thus lowering the cost per person still further.
- Consistent and emerging individual performance issues
- How an over-burdened, under-resourced NHS is playing out in performance
- What constitutes acceptable vs. unacceptable performance?
- Understanding human performance and its relationship to stress and overload
- Tell-tale signs of a doctor or staff member in trouble
- Ensuring that problems are identified early, especially in short rotations
- Emerging performance issues & scenarios in trainees
- EGOR model for supervising & monitoring trainees
- Passing assessments vs. real life clinical performance
- Core principles of managing poor performance, supportively
- Balancing support with pragmatism and governance responsibilities
- GMC approach to poor performance
- Deanery approaches to poor performance or development issues
- Legal principles - rights& responsibilities
- Legal principles - conducting a safe process
- Ensuring personal safety - understanding the risks & their mitigation
- The personal attack - ensuring you remain safe
- Raising performance issues correctly - communication skills
- Managing denial or naivety
- Approaching issues in fellow senior colleagues
- Avoiding paralysis and emotional hijack
- Conducting a performance appraisal when all is not well
- Conducting root cause analysis in performance issues
- Ensuring a balanced diagnosis of the issues
- Creating a PRP (performance rectification plan)
- Methods & options for restoring or enhancing performance
- What constitutes appropriate support?
- Setting an appropriate monitoring schedule
- Feedback skills when performance issues exist
- Effective use of mentoring & coaching
- Maintaining motivation whilst issues are resolved
- Managing issues identified towards the end of a rotation
- What should you do if performance doesn't improve?
- Approaching references for staff where concern exists
- ~ - 30th, Jun 2030
- Standard Price: £0.00
This takes you to the Medmeetings course page for this course, from which you can see the latest availability & best available pricing, as well as book onto the course.
More Information & Compelling Reasons
Healthcare is tough today and the training you receive must adequately address that reality. No idealism or wishy-washy, overly academic regurgitation, just focused, bang up-to-date, hard-hitting, highly practical courses designed to address the things you need to be very good at today. Equally, your study leave time and budget are both scarce and precious. We won’t waste your time, we work hard to provide the very best training at professionally sustainable fees (lower than many) and we NEVER compromise on learning quality. Other practical reasons include:
- 100% Money-back Guarantee
- Just 12 Participants Per Course (Academyst Select)
- Extremely experienced faculty with seniority & genuine gravitas
- Many courses are augmented by significant additional e-learning for depth
- Academyst Select Courses
Academyst Select is a truly comprehensive approach to supporting you from both the learning perspective and in how you use or implement that learning. By operating with reduced participants and days i.e. only working with comparatively few individuals, we are able to provide an unmatched and truly enabling level of support.
Academyst Select courses have as standard:
- Open dialogue with the team and more targeted advice on your specific issues
- Access to ongoing implementation advice
- Full-sized PDFs of all slides used
- Implementation Guide to help you apply principles and learning
- Implementation Materials – actual documents, slides & models that you can use